University of Brighton, Brighton Polytechnic
rok vzniku: 0
rok zániku: 0
adresa: Mithras House Lewes Rd, Brighton, BN2 4AT, United Kingdom
The University was formed as Brighton Polytechnic in 1968 by the merging of Brighton College of Technology and Brighton College of Art. Before the merger external University of London degrees were offered. As a polytechnic, degrees were granted under the auspices of the Council for National Academic Awards, an umbrella organisation responsible for monitoring the quality of degrees at most polytechnics during the 1960s and 70s.
Brighton Polytechnic was expanded in September 1976 by a merger with Brighton College of Education, and in April 1979 incorporated the East Sussex College of Higher Education at Eastbourne. It was awarded full university status in 1992 as the University of Brighton allowing it to offer degrees in its own right.
The Cockcroft building on the Moulsecoomb campus
Brighton College of Technology was located at Moulsecoomb in Brighton. It initially offered degrees in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Pharmacy, Computer Studies, Applied Physics and Applied Chemistry. There were about 1200 students in 1970. An appreciable number of students came from overseas, mainly from countries of the Commonwealth.
Brighton College of Education was located at Falmer, with seafront residencies in Eastern Terrace, Percival Terrace and Sussex Square in Brighton. The Falmer site is still part of the University.
Brighton College of Art was located in Grand Parade, where much of the Faculty of Arts is still based.
Brighton College of Technology had grown out of the much older Brighton Technical College.